One of the significant challenges I faced as an expat parent was choosing a good British school in Dubai for my kids. Coming from a country with standard British education, all I sought was a school that could cover all my child’s basic needs.
After spending a couple of days researching and making inquiries, I finally decided on what I think are the best British curriculum schools in Dubai. I understand how stressful and monotonous this can be. That’s why I compiled this valuable guide for you to help make your work lighter as you make this incredibly important decision. I must say that Dubai does boast an impressive number of British Curriculum schools, ranging in prices and facilities. What matters most is that you choose the school that best suits your child, budget and lifestyle.
After reading this article, you will be able to:
- Choose the best affordable British school in Dubai for your child
- Gather the right documents required for the admission process
- Choose the right class for your kids
- And lastly, know the application process!
Let’s get started.
Depending on the age group of your child, see how you can place them in classes.
|Age Group||13 Year British System||12 Year British System|
|6+||Year 2||Grade 1|
|7+||Year 3||Grade 2|
|8+||Year 4||Grade 3|
|9+||Year 5||Grade 4|
|10+||Year 6||Grade 5|
|11+||Year 7||Grade 6|
|12+||Year 8||Grade 7|
|13+||Year 9||Grade 8|
|14+||Year 10||Grade 9|
|15+||Year 11||Grade 10|
|16+||Year 12||Grade 11|
|17+||Year 13||Grade 12|
What is the best British school in Dubai?
There are over 50 British schools in Dubai. To help you make the best decision for your child, I accessed all, and these are my top five. It is my aim to expand on this list as time goes on.
1. Kent College Dubai
Image Credit: Kent College
Situated in Academic city, Al Ain Road, Kent College Dubai has maintained impeccable academic standards since its inception. Parents with children in the school have vetted the high-quality education the school provides. In fact, 93% of parents in Dubai shared that they would recommend this school to another parent.
What’s more intriguing about Kent College is its accessibility from anywhere in Dubai. In addition, they offer free transportation for first-year students. They have various facilities to stimulate the academic growth of your child.
- Tuition fee: Fee ranges from AED 54K – AED 98K
- KHDA rating: Outstanding
- Location: Al Abjar Street, Nad Al Sheba
- Copies of the last school reports
- A copy of the child’s Emirates ID and residency visa
- A copy of the child’s passport and birth certificate
- Copies of medical reports
- A copy of parent/guardians passport, Emirates ID and residency visa.
How to apply
- Fill the online application form
- Submit the documents with a registration fee of AED 500
- Contact the admission officers via any of these channels
2. Kings’ School Dubai
Image Credit: Kings’ School
If you are looking for a school that covers all areas of your child’s needs, kings’ school might be the best option for you. The school has garnered various awards and recognitions from reputable academic sites. One of the most significant achievements is retaining the “outstanding” rating by the Dubai Schools Inspection Bureau from inception to date.
As a school that houses over 2500 students from over 70 countries, Kings’ school strives to deliver a world-class educational standard. The college has excellent academic facilities, ranging from extensive sporting facilities, art auditoriums and up-to-date technological systems to foster learning. Just as their motto, they aim to achieve “The Best By Every Child!”
- Tuition fee: Ranges from AED 43K – 66K
- KHDA rating: Very good
- Location: Al Barsha and Umm Suqeim
- Copy of your child’s passport, residence visa and Emirates ID card
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate
- Four copies of your child’s passport photograph
- Copy of parents visas, Emirates ID cards, and passport photographs
- Admission fee of Dhs 500
- A leaving letter from the current school
Criteria for application
Unlike other good British schools in Dubai, Kings School has a different method for accepting new students.
- Click on the enquiry form to make necessary information about the school
- After this, you’ll get login details for parents
- Upload the required documents on the site
- If successful applicants, the admission team will reach out to you
3. Hartland International school
Image Credit: Hartland International School
Hartland International school is one of the leading British schools in Dubai. It has facilities for students at all levels –from the foundation stage to Grade 12. The teachers are trained to meet every of your child’s needs.
In Hartland, your child has access to a wide range of extracurricular activities. This is centered on developing your child’s creativity, leadership, communication and critical thinking skills.
- Tuition fee: Ranges from AED 41K – AED 78K
- KHDA rating: Very good and Outstanding
- Location: Nad Al Sheba, Dubai
- A copy of your child’s passport, visa and Emirates ID
- A copy of both parent’s passport, visa and Emirates ID
- Previous years’ school reports
- Two scanned passport photographs
- Transfer certificate and Health certificate
Criteria for application
- Fill an online Application form on the school website
- Scan the following documents, which you are to submit via email
- Pay a non refundable admission fee of AED 2500
4. Dubai English speaking school
Dubai English Speaking School (DESS) is an excellent option if you stay close to Oud Metha, Bur Dubai, or neighboring cities. Founded in 1963, it remains one of the British schools with exceptional standards in Dubai. The school delivers the National Curriculum of England. They do not only focus on academic standards but also aim to develop your child’s extracurricular skills.
Currently, DESC houses over 800 students from over 50 countries. The school encompasses various facilities required for quality learning for primary and secondary school students.
- Tuition fee: The tuition fee ranges from AED 35K to AED 75K depending on the foundation and primary stage.
- Location: Oud Metha
- KHDA Rating: Outstanding
- A copy of the child’s birth certificate
- A copy of the child’s passport, UAE visa and Emirates Identity Card
- A copy of the mid-year report and end of the year academic report
- A recent copy of your child’s passport photograph
Criteria for admission
- Download the admission application form via the school website
- Fill all the required fields and click submit
- For more questions or enquiries, reach out to the admissions team
5. Brighton College Dubai
Image Credit: Brighton College
Brighton College Dubai has to undoubtedly be counted among the good British schools in Dubai. The school focuses on the happiness of your kids, which is what matters the most. They selectively choose and access the best teachers, which has built their credibility over the past few years.
Located in Al Barsha South, Brighton college is in partnership with the sister college in the United Kingdom (UK) and other British schools in the UAE, which helps them retain their standard of educational excellence. The school has consistently received academic recognition from premium publications such as New York Times, Week and CNN.
- Tuition fee: Ranges from AED 53K – AED 88K depending on the foundation stage and Grade year.
- KHDA Rating: Developed
- Location: Al Barsha South
- A copy of parent passport, UAE residence visa and Emirates ID
- A copy of a transfer certificate from your child’s current school
- Copy of birth certificate and vaccination immunization records
- A clear copy of your child’s photograph
- A copy of your child’s passport, UAE residence visa and Emirates ID
Criteria for admission
- Visit their website and fill the online application form
- Submit the form coupled with the supporting documents
- Once your application has been received, the admission team will contact you to book a visit with your child to the school.
- You’ll pay a non-refundable fee of AED 525 by bank transfer
- For more inquiries, contact them through these available channels.
Getting the right school in Dubai for your child can be hard work. You can use my recommendations above to help you make the right decision for your child. I will also keep adding to this list so that the information is always fresh.