If you enjoy a calm environment with a slower pace–evading all the hustle and bustle of the other busy cities in the UAE–Ras Al Khaimah will top the list! I moved here five years ago, with my two sons and husband, Max. Although I had my doubts about the city at first, I’m so glad I was wrong.
A hotspot for expatriates, Ras Al Khaimah, is amongst the UAE’s most family-friendly cities. The properties here are highly affordable, costing almost half of the price in Dubai. It is a straight road to Dubai, an excellent option if you work on the outskirts of the city.
As a community-led city, you’ll meet several families residing here, including locals and expats alike. Kid-friendly areas are everywhere in the city, including beaches for family time out. RAK is undoubtedly one of the best places to live with a family in the UAE.
Is Ras Al Khaimah A Nice Place To Live With Family?
Photo Credit: Time Out Dubai
Yes, RAK is a nice place to live with a family. Compared to the other glamorous cities in UAE, residents here have the advantage of a lower cost of living and afford luxuries even on a budget. The city has a laid-back vibe and snags the trophy for being one of the most peaceful cities globally.
There are tons of kid-friendly restaurants, pristine beaches, and cosy cafes to work peacefully in a serene atmosphere with a delicious cup of coffee. Ras Al Khaimah is also packed with shopping malls, with the Al Hamra mall annexed to a children’s park, for you to tour the aisle of assorted products while keeping an eye on your kids.
Education in RAK provides a range of schooling options for both locals and expats to attain quality and affordable education. Ranging from nurseries to universities, you’ll find quality educational institutions to choose from.
Where To Live With A Family In Ras Al Khaimah?
A great environment for expats, Ras Al Khaimah is the heart of peaceful communities, with essential amenities within accessible proximity. These communities are packed with gyms, spas, salons, pools, malls, and tons more facilities to unwind as we take a walk through these districts.
Mina Al Arab
Photo Credit: Minaalarab
If your family are beach enthusiasts, then Mina Al Arab is the ideal community to have a weekend getaway by the shores. The Emirati community is a waterfront attraction site for both locals and expats, as it’s home to marine species and aesthetic landscapes.
Mina Al Arab is divided into Bermuda, Lagoon Marina, Malibu, Granada, Lagoon walk, and Flamingo Villa. These communities have stores, lush gardens, restaurants, hospitals, and outdoor parks for children to play in surrounding them.
The schools are near the community, with the top-rated school in the district, The Al Jazeera Al Hamra Boy School, five minutes away from the south of Mina Al Arab.
How much does it cost to rent an apartment in Mina Al Arab?
- A one-bedroom apartment costs AED 35k and above.
- A two-bedroom apartment costs AED 55k and above.
Facilities within Mina Al Arab
- Schools – Little Treasure Nursery, Al Jazeera Al Hamra Boy School
- Healthcare centre – Sheikh Khalifa Specialty Hospital
- Restaurants – De Galera Marinero restaurant, Café LaLuna
- Leisure sites – Ras Al Khaimah National Museum, Al Jazeera beach
- Distance from Dubai and RAK airport – 40 minutes away
Al Hamra Village
Photo Credit: Alhamraresorts
Al Hamra village speaks to perfection for you and your family if you seek an environment with a village vibe and a touch of luxury. Tucked on the coast of the Arabian Gulf, the community boasts pristine beaches and picturesque scenery.
The district is home to premium leisure sites ranging from the Al Hamra shopping mall to its yacht club; the residential areas in Al Hamra Village are divided into The Marina residence, Al Hamra Villas, Royal Breeze residence, and Bayti Homes.
In Ras Al Khaimah, expats are exposed to reputable schools like the prominent British International School close to Al Hamra Village.
How much does it cost to rent an apartment in Al Hamra Village?
- A one-bedroom apartment costs AED 28K and above.
- A two-bedroom apartment costs AED 45K and above.
- A three-bedroom apartment costs AED 60K and above.
Facilities within Al Hamra Village
- School – Ras Al Khaimah British International School
- Healthcare centre – Ras Al Khaimah Medical Center, Al Hamra
- Supermarket – Al Jazeera Supermarket, Al Dafan Supermarket
- Leisure sites- Al Hamra Marina and Yacht Club
Bab Al Bahr
Photo Credit: Visitresalkhaimah
A hub for lush gardens and aesthetic waterfront, this community is perfect for expat families who are nature enthusiasts. The residences are close to pristine beaches and a photograph-perfect seaside view. The accommodations range from apartments, villas and penthouses, designed with an Arabian structure.
Bab Al Bahr is conducive for raising a family with 24/7 security and essential amenities surrounding every neighbourhood. The area is a 30 minutes distance from Sharjah University and houses affordable schools with quality facilities.
How much does it cost to rent an apartment in Bab Al Bahr?
- A one-bedroom apartment costs AED 31k and above.
- A two-bedroom apartment costs AED 34k and above.
Facilities within Bab Al Bahr
- School- Ras Al Khaimah American School, International School of Choueifat
- Medical Center – Sheikh Khalifah Specialist hospital, Ras Al Khaimah Hospital
- Supermarket- Al Hamra Shopping Mall
- Restaurants- Puro Café and Terrace, Sumo Sushi, and Bento
- Leisure sites- The Lighthouse Retreat, Al Jazeera diving and swimming centre, Ras Al Khaimah Track centre
Al Marjan Island
Photo Credit: WOWRAK
If you plan on living in Ras Al Khaimah, I’ll have you know that Al Marjan Island is one of the best, family-convenient residential areas. Along the Persian Gulf, Al Marjan is a stunning archipelago of six buildings named Tahiti, Bora Bora, Samoa, Fiji, Polynesia, and Tonga.
If you work in Dubai, you’ll find transportation an easy ride as the island is a short distance from Dubai. The Al Marjan Island has a residential complex encompassing a beach and rooftop leisure facilities ranging from a tennis court, a swimming pool, a jacuzzi, and a gym.
How much does it cost to rent an apartment on Al Marjan Island?
- A one-bedroom apartment costs AED 29k and above.
- A two-bedroom apartment costs AED 34k and above.
Facilities within Al Marjan Island
- Schools – Zainab School for Basic and Secondary Education, Ras Al Khaimah Academy, Little Treasures Nursery
- Hospitals – Al Afia Medical Center
- Supermarket – Al Sanad Supermarket, Fresh Plus Grocery & Café
- Restaurants – Seven Heights Restaurants, L’Olivo Restaurant
- Leisure sites – Rixy Kids Club, Treasure Island
Although not as luxurious as the more popular UAE cities, expats living in Ras Al Khaimah have the great advantage of lower cost of living and affordable luxury. If you are conflicted about living in Ras Al Khaimah, my quick guide to the best place to live with family in Ras Al Khaimah will help your decision-making!